The Best Book of 2012 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


I bought and read quite a few books last year, but one novel sat on my To Read pile for almost a month, simply because I felt I owed it to the ones I'd bought before it to read them first. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn had been recommended by various people I follow on Twitter and in the blogs I'd visited. I finally succumbed to my initial feelings of curiosity and ordered myself a copy.
Gone Girl begins in the midst of the action. Nick Dunne's wife Amy is missing. Nick soon becomes the main suspect.

I started reading Gone Girl after finishing The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach, a monster of a book about baseball and friendship. I'd felt the latter had been a bit of a slow burner at times, but I had enjoyed it, nonetheless.

Gone Girl on the other hand is suspenseful from the word go. It never allows you to gain your bearings and feel comfortable, at ease. Every time you think you've got it all figured out, you find the rug is being pulled out from under your feet as you are hit with yet another unexpected and outrageous plot twist. It is quite possibly my favourite book since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Don't judge! Harry Potter may be children's fiction, but even Stephen King agrees that J.K. Rowling is a phenomenal writer.

My rating: 5/5

I urge you all to go out and buy a copy!

Comments